The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Check out the standard bear case for stocks ranging from Amazon.com (AMZN) to Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) to Lululemon (LULU). For all three, "value" investors argue that the stocks must drop because they sport lofty price-to-earnings ratios. In fact, some folks make this prediction as if it is Newtonian law.
As of Friday's close, AMZN trades at a current P/E of roughly 139 and forward P/E of about 74. CMG clocks in at approximately 62 and 39, respectively, while LULU notches a P/E of 58 in the here and now and 35 looking out one year. These three stocks, with the exception of a few very normal fits and starts, have done nothing but go up. Two-Year, Five-Year Returns
That's quite impressive, yet the bears remain defiant. As a popular talking point, bears compare these three companies (and others with high P/Es) to Netflix (NFLX). They express an unconvincing certainty that what goes up must come down. They blast Jeff Bezos for spending too much, operating on "razor-thin margins" and not collecting sales tax. They wonder how the market could value a burrito joint at such a high "multiple." And they label LULU a passing fad that sells overpriced clothing to a fickle set of bored housewives. Rarely will AMZN, CMG and LULU bears listen to more holistic arguments about long-term opportunities, sound and sustainable business plans and brand loyalty between company and relatively high-end consumer.If they listened to these and other more complex points, AMZN, CMG and LULU bears would stop using NFLX as a case study.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV