Shares of Webster Financial (WBS) of Waterbury, Conn., closed at $21.44 Friday, returning 5% year to date, following a 4% return during 2011.
The shares trade for 1.4 times tangible book value and for 12 times the consensus 2013 earnings estimate of $1.80 a share. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $1.72.
Webster reported first-quarter net income available to common shareholders of $38.3 million, or 42 cents a share, coming in ahead of the consensus estimate of 40 cents. In comparison, the company reported earnings to common shareholders of $39.6 million, or 43 cents a share, the previous quarter, and $33.8 million, or 36 cents a share, a year earlier.While a sequential increase in expenses caused a slight dip in earnings from the previous quarter, Webster's mortgage banking income increased to $4.4 million during the first quarter, from $1.1 million in the fourth quarter, and $1.3 million in the first quarter of 2011. FBR analyst Bob Ramsey rated Webster Financial outperform with a $27 price target, and said last Tuesday that first-quarter trends were "generally in line with expectations, with some upside from strong mortgage banking," and that the company "reported positive operating leverage, and its efficiency ratio continued to improve, edging it closer toward its goal of 60% operating efficiency by 4Q12." Ramsey noted that Webster's management will "request a dividend increase at next week's board meeting, stated that buybacks are 'only a matter of time,' and downplayed the likelihood of M&A." Webster is currently paying a quarterly dividend of a nickel a share. FBR estimated the company will earn $1.75 this year, followed by 2013 EPS of $1.95. Interested in more on Webster Financial? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV