The Permanent ETF: A Lesson in Diversification
Gold is denominated in U.S. dollars so one of the regular gold ETFs could work. PERM uses the ETF Securities Gold Trust (SGOL).
A similar portfolio can be constructed for Canada using the iShares MSCI Canada Index Fund (EWC) and Index IQ Canada Small Cap ETF (CNDA) for equities, the Rydex Currency Shares Canadian Dollar Trust (FXC) for the currency and the PIMCO Canada Bond Index Fund (CAD) although with an effective maturity of 13 years it is still shorter than the original Harry Browne idea.
And again with gold denominated in U.S. dollars SGOL can work, as could the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD).ETFs would also allow for a permanent portfolio for Germany and China and as more specialized foreign bond ETFs continue to proliferate there will be other choices like this. AUNZ, FXA client holdings
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV