BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- With my apologies, last week's Biotech Stock Mailbag is a few days late.
"Patent" asks, "Your latest thoughts on Amarin (AMRN)?"
The next challenge for Amarin and its ultra-purified fish oil AMR101 comes from Omthera Pharmaceuticals as it gets ready to announce late-stage study results from a potentially competitive omega-3 fatty acid product.
Omthera's Epanova is a purified mixture of 55% EPA and 20% DHA with boosted bio-availability that is supposed to more effectively lower trigylcerides (TG) and perhaps stunt increases in LDL (bad) cholesterol.
Carson K. asks, "Can you interpret the stocks which did best at the hepatitis C conference last week?" Gilead Sciences (GILD) emerged as the clear winner from the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL) annual meeting, says healthcare investor and TheStreet contributing columnist Nathan Sadeghi-Nejad. Nate attended the EASL meeting in Barcelona last week. His assessment and grading of all the major hepatitis C drug stocks is published this morning, so definitely take a look. In addition to Gilead, Nate thinks Idenix Pharmaceuticals (IDIX) and Abbott (ABT) come out of EASL stronger, while questions swirl around Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) and Achillion Pharmaceuticals (ACHN). Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX) was a definite EASL loser, he says. For more detail, please check out Nate's comprehensive EASL report.
@JonathanNovak1 asks, "Do you really think Vanda Pharmaceuticals (VNDA) is a takeover target or were you referring to retail speculation?" Jon is referring to a Thursday tweet of mine riffing off GlaxoSmithKline's unsolicited bid for Human Genome Sciences: "Inevitable takeout rumors you will hear today, if not already: $NVS-$VNDA, Bayer-$ONXX, Eisai-$ARNA, $DNDN-take your pick"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV