Savory Desserts Send Palates on a Tasty Adventure
LAS VEGAS (TheStreet) -- Throughout the history of the modern meal, savory flavors have traditionally belonged to appetizers and entrees while the sweet tastes of dessert serve as the grand finale. That's changed. In a city that loves to bend the rules, Las Vegas restaurants are serving savory desserts that send culinary palates on a tasty adventure.
Featuring out-of-the-ordinary ingredients such as roots, spices and vegetables, these desserts blend sweet and savory in perfect harmony, proving once again Las Vegas chefs are changing the way we finish our meals. TravelsinTaste sought out some of the most notable Las Vegas chefs to bring their savory creations to you, along with some insight into their creations.
More From TravelsinTaste
|CUT: A Cut Above the Rest|
|SHO Shaun Hergatt: The Financial District Finally Gets Fine Dining Right|
|New York's Best Seafood, Courtesy of New York's Best Chef: James Beard Award Winner Eric Ripert|
Care for some seasoning with your chocolate? The Salt & Pepper Chocolate Cake served at Andre's Restaurant & Lounge at the Monte Carlo teases the taste buds with a mixture of sweet, spice and everything nice. Served in a delicate pool of salty caramel sauce, this dessert is topped with apricot mousse and marzipan. A dusting of red peppercorn flakes atop the cake delivers a spicy bite with each forkful. "It's dessert with a kick," says Andre Rochat, executive chef at Andre's and Alize. "The secret to savory desserts is the element of surprise, because no one imagines their cake to taste spicy or salty. It opens the palate to great new flavors, which is what makes this dessert so exciting to try."
|Lemongrass' Iceberg, with an unusual black jelly, minty herb, sweet corn and coconut jelly, is a dessert you won't soon forget.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV