Lessons From the Bard: How Shakespeare Would Run a Business
Get to know your employees
Magas also points to Shakespeare's play Henry V in which the king disguised himself on the eve of his Agincourt speech to learn the true feelings about his own men regarding his role as leader. He realized that he needed to learn how to be a good king from his subjects, not from other kings, she says. (Does this sound like a precursor to today's Undercover Boss on CBS (CBS)?)
In order to be a good manager and for employees to be most productive, take this lesson to heart. Understanding the needs of your employees and creating more employee-friendly policies is the best way to maximize employee performance."Your success as a manager hinges on the direct support of your staff. Just as Shakespeare's development of subplots directs our attention to the vital role of support staff, your role as a manager should be to learn from your staff, develop their potential and reward innovative ideas," Magas says. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV