In addition to the nation's macroeconomic challenges, we will get a taste of Spain's corporate conditions this week when top banking institutions announce their quarterly earnings and outlooks. Names on tap include Banco Santander (STD), BBVA and Banco de Sabadell. All three names are found at the top of EWP's underlying index. Together, they comprise 30% of its portfolio.
Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR (XLP)
The recent spate of weak market performance has led some to question whether the early year rally was truly indicative of improving economic conditions. In looking at the performance seen across the consumer sector, however, it is difficult to deny that things are looking up.
Whether it was the bout of disappointing economic data seen at the start of the year, or the irritatingly high energy prices that have lingered throughout the past few months, U.S. shoppers have been faced with pressing challenges in 2012. Still, they have remained resilient.Both XLP and the Consumer Discretionary Select Sector SPDR (XLY) are worth watching in the days ahead. XLP will be of particular interest as top holdings including Procter & Gamble (PG), PepsiCo (PEP), Altria (MO) and Colgate Palmolive (CL) announce earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV