9 Cybersecurity Stocks to Consider Now
By Christopher Witrak
NEW YORK (Minyanville) -- Earlier this month, Americans were alarmed to learn that hackers had stolen nearly 1.5 million credit card numbers from Global Payments (GPN), an Atlanta, Georgia-based payment processor and former Visa (V) partner.
Such stories have appeared in the news with increasing frequency, and it's not just large corporations being targeted by cyber criminals. In fact, small organizations, such as physicians' offices, saw the greatest number of data breaches last year. In a separate investigation, Verizon's (VZ) annual Data Break Investigations Report examined 855 account breaches from around the globe and found that criminals compromised 174 million records in 2011.
For investors, these stories point to an obvious trend: Cybersecurity stocks, already hot, are likely to continue gaining heat. Global spending on cybersecurity products and services is expected to exceed $71 billion by 2014, according to Gartner (IT), an information technology research and advisory firm.
Last year, Sean Udall, Minyanville contributor and author of the TechStrat Report newsletter, recommended 10 stocks to watch in the burgeoning commercial cybersecurity industry. (See Cyber Defense: Investing in the Modern Battlefield.)
More from Minyanville
Did Facebook Buy Instagram Just to Keep It Away From Google?
Funniest Financial Tweets of the Week
We Are All Futurists Now
|July 18, 2011||April 17, 2012|
|Price: $61.17||Price: $64.33|
|Annual Revenue: 1.173B||Annual Revenue: 1.25B|
|EPS Growth: 26.53%||EPS Growth: 18.18%|
|Sales Growth (Quarterly): 15.15%||Sales growth (Quarterly): 12%|
|5 Year Average Sales Growth: 11.50%||5 Year Average Sales Growth: 12%|
|P/E: 26.03||P/E: 18.29|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV