SHAW’S® Supermarkets today announced that five of its locations in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont have reached a major environmental milestone in the company’s “zero waste” program by diverting over 90 percent of all store waste from local landfills. Accomplished through an innovative approach to recycling, organic composting and food donations, Shaw’s stores united to keep more than 32 million pounds of waste out of local landfills and donated over two million meals to local food banks and hunger relief efforts since 2011.
“Creating a culture of sustainability is a key tenant for Shaw’s, and I’m proud of the efforts our associates have taken to help these five stores achieve this important milestone,” said Mike Stigers, president, Shaw’s. “We’ve made tremendous progress to reduce the amount of trash that is going to our landfills, having cut the amount in half in the last year alone. However, this is just the beginning for us, and we are excited to build on this achievement moving forward.”
The goal of the Shaw’s zero waste program is to eliminate landfill waste from operations, with these five locations reaching the 90 percent total waste diversion that marks the first milestone in the program. This effort places a significant emphasis on each store’s ability to maximize recycling, food donations, organic composting and overall waste reduction. Additionally, every Shaw’s location is diverting all of its organic materials, soft plastics, hard plastics, and all of its paper and cardboard.
The positive environmental impact of these five stores alone has been astounding:
- In November 2010, these five Shaw’s stores were generating an average of 745 pounds of waste each day per store.
- Today, each store is averaging just over 200 pounds of landfill waste per day, a 268 percent reduction in total landfill waste resulting from these stores.
- Shaw’s has eliminated 1,257 full garbage truck trips annually to the landfill.
Center Street, Auburn, ME
(90.02% total waste diversion)
- Recycled – 848,761 pounds
- Composted – 261,150 pounds
- Donated to food bank – 25,091 meals
Mountain View, Colchester, VT
(90.91% total waste diversion)
- Recycled – 1,058,146 pounds
- Composted – 309,600 pounds
- Donated to food bank – 44,122 meals
VT Highway 12S, Randolph, VT
(90.06% total waste diversion)
- Recycled – 553,050 pounds
- Composted – 233,700 pounds
- Donated to food bank – 18,637 meals
Maple Street, Stowe, VT
(90.23% total waste diversion)
- Recycled – 407,136 pounds
- Composted – 189,000 pounds
- Donated to food bank – 13,407 meals
Eastman Road, Center Conway, NH
(90.23% total waste
- Recycled – 641,283 pounds
- Composted – 180,700 pounds
- Donated to food bank – 25,945 meals
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV