Shares of Comerica (CMA) of Dallas closed at $31.63 Thursday, returning 23% year-to-date.
The shares trade just below times tangible book value, according to HighlineFI, and for 12 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $2.72. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $2.50.
Comerica on Tuesday reported first-quarter net income of $130 million, or 66 cents a share, soundly beating the consensus estimate of 55 cents.In comparison, the company earned $96 million, or 48 cents a share, during the fourth quarter, and $103 million, or 57 cents a share, during the first quarter of 2011. The fourth-quarter results included $37 million in restructuring charges associated with the purchase of Sterling Bancshares last July. The year-over-year earnings improvement reflected a 21% increase in net interest income, to $443 million in the first quarter, partially reflecting the Sterling acquisition, and a decline in the provision for loan losses to $23 million in the first quarter from $49 million a year earlier. Following Comerica's earnings announcement, Usdin reiterated his "Hold" rating on the shares, but increased his price target by three dollars to $34, while raising his 2012 EPS estimate to $2.60 from $2.35, and his 2013 EPS estimate to $2.75 from $2.55. The analyst said "we appreciate the earnings ramp CMA should get from higher interest rates (at some point), but current/next year valuations seem relatively fair at this time." Interested in more on Comerica? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV