And what kind of deals does Buffett pine for? He likes buying large, family-owned enterprises with long histories of predictable profitability achieved with very little additional capital infusion. Typical of the breed: Buffett bought Marmon Industries, a collection of 125 manufacturing and service companies, for $4.5 billion from Chicago's Pritzker family, in 2007.
Those kinds of deals need a gentle touch, a special perspective that's cultivated, honed -- not in the trenches, not in the conference room -- but through personal interaction, at Sun Valley and Aspen. The critical sit in those deals takes place in homes, not board rooms. To put it in pop-culture terms, you don't need Bob Sugar. You need Jerry Maguire.
Current Geico boss Tony Nicely doesn't have what it takes, either. He knows insurance. Burlington Northern CEO Matthew Rose knows trains and Lubizol head James Hambrick knows about industrial manufacturing, but neither have the temperament. Greg Abel comes close, but he, like Jain, is too valuable in his current role as the head of MidAmerican. And he makes more money there, too, which is not an incidental consideration.
The Envelope, Please ...
The right man for the job is Bryon Trott.You might not have heard of him, but he's my odds-on favorite to run Berkshire after Buffett retires, which he has scheduled for "five years after
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV