"SRE remains one of the more diverse, well-managed companies in our universe, with significant alternatives available to create shareholder value," Goldman Sachs analysts wrote in an April 5 report. "Our sum-of the parts analysis (SOTP) incorporates a value for SRE's potential Cameron LNG export project - we assume a 33% probability of project completion, coming online in 2017, with roughly $5 of value embedded in our target price, but implying another $10 of upside potential to our target price if incremental clarity emerges on contracting, permitting and gaining federal approvals for this project. Using P/E multiple analysis on 2012/2013 EPS estimates and comparing to other Regulated Utilities/Diversified Utilities implies limited upside."
Shares of Sempra Energy hit a 52-week high Friday of $64.53. The stock's 52-week low of $44.78 was set on Aug. 9.Sempra trades at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 14.74 times; the average for multiutilities is 14.78. For comparison, Duke Energy (DUK) has a lower forward P/E of 14.17. Six of the 11 analysts who cover Sempra Energy rated it hold. Four analysts gave the stock a buy rating and one rated it sell. TheStreet Ratings gives Sempra Energy an A grade with a buy rating and $72.64 price target. The stock has risen 17.35%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV