Free Report: How Public Education Can Help Reduce Vehicle Emissions, Fuel Use
Mineta Transportation Institute says many people will change driving behavior; fewer will change vehicle maintenance.
SAN JOSE, Calif., April 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Mineta Transportation Institute ( transweb.sjsu.edu) has released its newest research report, Ecodriving and Carbon Footprinting: Understanding How Public Education Can Result in Reduced Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Use, which provides a review and study of ecodriving. The report found that exposure to ecodriving information influenced people's driving behavior and some maintenance practices. While not everyone modifies their behavior after reviewing this information, even small behavioral shifts due to inexpensive information dissemination could be a cost effective way to reduce fuel consumption and emissions. These methods could augment more costly "dynamic ecodriving" approaches, which give continuous feedback through onboard monitoring devices. Principal investigators were Susan A. Shaheen, PhD, Elliot W. Martin, PhD, and Rachel S. Finson, MA. The free report is available for PDF download from transweb.sjsu.edu/project/2808.html.
Dr. Shaheen noted that, "Ecodriving is a collection of changes to driving behavior and vehicle maintenance designed to impact fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions in existing vehicles. These include driving at the speed limit, keeping tires properly inflated, avoiding unnecessary weight, removing bike and roof racks, and observing other principles. Because of its promise to improve fuel economy within the existing fleet, ecodriving has gained increased attention in North America. One strategy to improve ecodriving is through public education on how to practice it."The key study areas were:
- Whether or not travelers will adopt ecodriving practices in response to ecodriving and carbon footprinting information;
- The extent of greenhouse gas emission and fuel use reductions if the new behaviors are adopted; and
- How long the modified behavior will persist.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV