Free Report: How Public Education Can Help Reduce Vehicle Emissions, Fuel Use
Mineta Transportation Institute says many people will change driving behavior; fewer will change vehicle maintenance.
SAN JOSE, Calif., April 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Mineta Transportation Institute ( transweb.sjsu.edu) has released its newest research report, Ecodriving and Carbon Footprinting: Understanding How Public Education Can Result in Reduced Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Use, which provides a review and study of ecodriving. The report found that exposure to ecodriving information influenced people's driving behavior and some maintenance practices. While not everyone modifies their behavior after reviewing this information, even small behavioral shifts due to inexpensive information dissemination could be a cost effective way to reduce fuel consumption and emissions. These methods could augment more costly "dynamic ecodriving" approaches, which give continuous feedback through onboard monitoring devices. Principal investigators were Susan A. Shaheen, PhD, Elliot W. Martin, PhD, and Rachel S. Finson, MA. The free report is available for PDF download from transweb.sjsu.edu/project/2808.html.
Dr. Shaheen noted that, "Ecodriving is a collection of changes to driving behavior and vehicle maintenance designed to impact fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions in existing vehicles. These include driving at the speed limit, keeping tires properly inflated, avoiding unnecessary weight, removing bike and roof racks, and observing other principles. Because of its promise to improve fuel economy within the existing fleet, ecodriving has gained increased attention in North America. One strategy to improve ecodriving is through public education on how to practice it."The key study areas were:
- Whether or not travelers will adopt ecodriving practices in response to ecodriving and carbon footprinting information;
- The extent of greenhouse gas emission and fuel use reductions if the new behaviors are adopted; and
- How long the modified behavior will persist.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV