MB Financial, Inc. (NASDAQ: MBFI), the holding company for MB Financial Bank, N.A (“the Bank” or “MB Financial Bank”), announced today first quarter results for 2012. The words “MB Financial,” “the Company,” “we,” “our” and “us” refer to MB Financial, Inc. and its consolidated subsidiaries, unless indicated otherwise. We had net income of $21.1 million and net income available to common stockholders of $17.8 million for the first quarter of 2012 compared to net income of $6.9 million and net income available to common stockholders of $4.3 million for the first quarter of 2011, and net income of $19.5 million and net income available to common stockholders of $16.8 million for the fourth quarter of 2011.
Key items for the quarter were as follows:
“Shareholder Friendly” TARP Repayment:
- On March 14, 2012, we repurchased all $196 million of preferred stock issued in 2008 to the U.S. Department of Treasury as part of the Troubled Asset Relief Program (“TARP”) Capital Purchase Program. No equity or long term debt was issued in conjunction with the repurchase.
- The repurchase resulted in a one-time, non-cash after-tax charge of approximately $1.2 million or $0.02 per common share in the first quarter of 2012, related to unaccreted discount recorded at the date of issuance.
- The repurchase was made with cash on hand as of the repurchase date. Prior to the repurchase date, we entered into and fully utilized a $35.0 million unsecured line of credit agreement with a correspondent bank to supplement holding company cash.
Pre-Tax, Pre-Provision Operating Earnings Remain Strong:
- Pre-tax, pre-provision operating earnings on a fully tax equivalent basis were $44.5 million, or 2.91% of risk-weighted assets, for the first quarter of 2012 compared to $46.0 million, or 2.87% of risk-weighted assets, for the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Pre-tax, pre-provision operating earnings on a fully tax equivalent basis to average assets was 1.84% for the first quarter of 2012 compared to 1.85% for the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Net interest margin on a fully tax equivalent basis was 3.87% for the first quarter of 2012 compared to 3.91% in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Our provision for credit losses was $3.1 million for the first quarter of 2012, while our net charge-offs were $5.8 million. Our provision for credit losses and net charge-offs for the fourth quarter of 2011 were $8.0 million and $13.9 million, respectively.
- Our non-performing loans were $124.7 million or 2.15% of total loans as of March 31, 2012, a decrease of $4.7 million from $129.4 million or 2.17% of total loans at December 31, 2011.
- Our allowance for loan losses to non-performing loans was 100.59% as of March 31, 2012 compared to 98.00% as of December 31, 2011.
- Our non-performing assets were $187.8 million or 1.94% of total assets as of March 31, 2012, a decrease of $20.2 million from $208.0 million or 2.12% of total assets as of December 31, 2011.
- Other real estate owned decreased to $63.1 million as of March 31, 2012 compared to $78.5 million as of December 31, 2011, while losses recognized on other real estate owned increased by $1.1 million to $6.6 million for the first quarter of 2012 compared to the fourth quarter of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV