Therefore, please note the discussion of forward-looking statements in our press release and considered incorporated by reference into this call. In addition, comments made here also include some non-GAAP financial measures. Those measures are reconciled to the comparable GAAP measures, and are included in the press release in the earnings slide materials. Now let me turn the call over to Tim.
Timothy H. Powers
Thank you, Jim. Welcome everyone and thank you for joining us this morning. I’m very pleased to report our strong first quarter results. Our sales, operating profits and earnings per share, all showed healthy increases compared to the first quarter of 2011.
Now let me turn it over to Dave for more color on the quarter, and our outlook for the remainder of 2012. Dave?
David G. Nord
All right. Thanks, Tim. Good morning, everybody. Thanks for joining us. I'm going to start on page 3 on the accompanying materials. From the quarter, we’re very pleased with the strong start to the year with net sales up 10%, really with some broad-based growth across our businesses. Particularly higher demand in our utility business led by transmission projects, industrial market, strong led by higher industrial production and increased activity in the energy markets, a little weakness on the new construction spending, but offset by higher demand on the renovation market. So, all in all very good growth there, and within our growth was also the benefit of our price and acquisition, so quarter growth up 7%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV