Powered By Innovation, CA Sets Accelerating Pace For U.S. In Clean Tech Race As State Cuts Emissions
SAN FRANCISCO, April 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- California's lead in the global clean technology race is growing and that leadership is supporting the state's economic rebound, while also driving California's ability to cut emissions. These are among the findings of the 2012 California Green Innovation Index ( www.next10.org), released today by the nonpartisan nonprofit group Next 10 and compiled by Collaborative Economics. The Index, the 4th since 2008, tracks the economic impacts of policies that help reduce state carbon emissions in California.
This latest edition finds that California is setting an accelerating pace for the United States in terms of venture capital (VC) investment, clean tech patent registration, energy productivity levels and renewable energy generation levels. From 2010 to 2011, clean tech investment in California rose by 24 percent to reach $3.5 billion, and clean tech patent registration increased by 41 percent from the period 2005-07 to 2008-10.
"VC investment and patent filings are two economic indicators that signal positive future growth in terms of jobs and businesses," said F. Noel Perry, businessman and Founder of Next 10. " California's commitment to an economy that is cleaner will also give us an economy that is stronger."The report also finds that renewable energy generation levels reached new heights in 2010, accounting for 13.7 percent of the state's energy portfolio. This year, in the wake of the Solyndra bankruptcy, the Index examines the state's solar industry in a special feature. Key solar sector findings include:
- In 2011, the state earned 62 percent of total global VC investment in solar, representing $1.2 billion.
- 105 patents were registered in California in 2010 in solar and related processes—that represents a doubling of registrations since 2009.
- In 2011, California surpassed 1000 MW of installed solar capacity, putting the state among the top solar adopting countries in the world.
- From January 1995 – January 2010, 1,503 solar businesses were born in California, an increase of 171 percent.
- From January 1995 – January 2010, employment in the solar sector rose 166 percent with solar installation and contracting jobs representing the bulk new growth.
- California leads the nation in clean tech patent registrations, filing 910 between 2008-2010. Solar and battery patents represent 41 percent (182 patents) and 21 percent (258 patents) respectively of all clean tech patents filed nationwide.
- From 2009 to 2010, energy generation from renewable sources in California increased 11.2 percent to represent 13.7 percent of all energy generated in the state.
- California's wind generation capacity jumped by 44 percent from 2009 to 2010.
- For every dollar of GDP generated in 2009, California emitted 28 percent less carbon than in 1990.
- Due to energy efficiency efforts, per capita electricity consumption in California remains close to 1990 levels.
- Energy productivity, measured as the ratio of energy consumed (inputs) to GDP (economic output), is 64 percent higher in California than in the rest of the country. Because of this higher rate of efficiency, California produces $2.35 of GDP for every 10,000 British Thermal Units (BTU) of energy consumed. The rest of the U.S. produces $1.43 of GDP for every 10,000 BTU of energy consumed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV