The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
For gaggles of investors, such a high P/E is reason enough to sell or short the stock.
In fact, loads of investors appear to invest almost solely on the basis of P/E ratios and other quantitative metrics that measure "valuation."That's why you see so many people running around calling Research In Motion (RIMM) and Radio Shack (RSH) "value plays" as each stock races to the bottom. Meanwhile, loads of investors yowl about lofty "valuations" as they call stocks like Lululemon (LULU) and Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) shorts all the way to the top. Amazon.com gets the same rap as Lululemeon and Chipotle Mexican Grill. I don't usually subscribe to "you're either with us or against us" dichotomies. The world is too complex for that. But when looking Amazon, it's useful to place people into two camps, although some people fit into both camps.
- Camp One: People who make decisions based on the here and now, and on the hard data that sit in front of them. It's black and white: AMZN has a P/E of 140, so the stock is overvalued and it must one day crash to a more reasonable valuation. Nothing you say can change these people's minds.
- Camp Two: People who can take into account the present yet discount it to consider a longer-term, bigger-picture perspective. Sure, AMZN has a P/E of 140 and a somewhat deteriorating bottom line, but why? Is Jeff Bezos so stupid that he's running this thing into ground? Or is there something bigger and more meaningful at play here?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV