Analog Devices (ADI) is providing traders with a much less directional technical outlook right now, but there's still a trade to be made in this stock.
ADI is currently stuck in a sideways consolidation channel, bouncing around in between resistance at $40.50 and support at $37.50. That bouncing tells us something important about ADI - it tells us that there's currently a glut of supply of shares above the channel, and a glut of demand for shares below it.
It follows, then, that a break outside of the channel (in either direction) sends an important signal to traders; it lets us know that the glut has been absorbed by the people on the other side of the trade.That's the classic example of an If/Then Trade. Put more simply, if ADI breaks out above $40.50, then we've got a buy signal. Otherwise, if ADI breaks down below $37.50, then this stock is a short candidate. Either way this setup eventually pans out, I'd recommend keeping a protective stop right on the other side of this stock's 50-day moving average. Analog Devices shows up on a recent list of 5 Chip Stocks JPMorgan Likes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV