Petrochina (PTR) is another big name that's hitting our radar this week thanks to a technical setup in shares. In the very short-term right now, PTR is forming a double bottom pattern -- one that points to a climb in shares if this oil stock can hold above $144 resistance in today's market session.
A double bottom is a pattern that occurs when a stock hits support with two well-defined swing lows right around the same price level. For PTR, those came in late March and early April right at the $137.50 level. The strength of that support level gives us an important clue about what's going on behind the scenes at PTR -- we know shares can catch a bid at $137.50, so a break above resistance at $144 tells us that buyers are definitively in control of shares again.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV