First up this week is retail behemoth Wal-Mart (WMT), a stock that's been on the heels of a strong rally in the last year. Wal-Mart's shares have climbed 15% in the past 12 months, offering investors nearly triple the returns of the S&P 500 over that same period. And right now, the technicals point to bigger gains in the near-term.
That's because Wal-Mart is currently forming an ascending triangle pattern, a setup that's formed by a horizontal resistance level to the upside, and uptrending support below shares. Essentially, as WMT bounces in between those two technical levels, it's getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above that $62.50 resistance level; that breakout is our buy signal for shares.
Momentum, as measured by 14-day RSI, adds some extra confidence in this setup -- it's been trending higher since the ascending triangle started forming at the start of last month. Volume is textbook in shares of Wal-Mart too. Trading activity has been declining throughout the pattern, something that's actually a positive sign; we'll want to see a volume spike on the breakout as traders participate in the move higher.Ultimately, those supporting factors add confidence to the pattern, but it's crucial to wait for price to move above $62.50 for WMT to become a high probability trade. I also featured Wal-Mart, one of 6 Companies Battling for Americans' Grocery Money, recently in " 5 Stocks Primed for Bigger Dividends."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV