BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Sure enough, the three biggest fundamental drivers for the market this week are earnings, earnings and earnings.
All told, 91 S&P 500 stocks are slated to announce earnings this week - almost 20% of the broad market index. And of the 50 that have already reported numbers this earnings season, 41 have beaten analysts' expectations. Even so, momentum in the 2012 stock rally has been cooling since the start of April.
Those facts tell us two very important factors about the market right now: First, Wall Street is definitively underestimating corporate profits this quarter, and second, market prices are starting to fall out of synch with fundamentals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV