The Karl Rove Machine You've Never Heard Of
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Karl Rove has all sorts of secret cash-raising techniques meant to beat Democrats in 2012.
Unlike Rove-run American Crossroads, Crossroads GPS doesn't qualify as a super PAC, which is why the nonprofit group's financial disclosures appeared in tax returns instead of monthly reports to the Federal Election Commission.Between the super PAC and nonprofit group, Rove's special interests have raised about $104.1 million since the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Citizens United, a decision that allowed unions and corporations to spend unlimited amounts of money on political campaigns. Crossroads GPS spent $42.3 million, or 87.4%, of its 2010 donation total, and $22.4, or 78.9%, of its 2011 total. The tax returns didn't report the names of any donors -- there isn't a requirement to do so -- but did reveal the anonymous sums given to the nonprofit. In 2010, the largest single-person contributions included: $10.1 million, $5 million, $4.5 million, $3 million, $2.8 million, two at $2 million, $1.5 million, $1.3 million, and six at $1 million. In 201, the largest single-person donations included: $10 million, $4.3 million, $2.8 million, two at $2.5 million and three at $1 million. "Crossroads GPS is dedicated to the belief that most Americans don't support the big-government agenda being forced upon them by Washington," Crossroads GPS's Web site says. The nonprofit's mission statement fairly describes the sentiment of many Americans, but most Americans probably don't know that a group like Crossroads GPS exists. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. >Follow Joe Deaux on Twitter. Subscribe on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV