The insurance company's first-quarter earnings were $806 million, or $2.02 a share, down from year-earlier earnings of $839 million, or $1.92 a share."Given that low investment yields and unusual weather patterns have continued, we remain committed to actively, but selectively, seeking price increases and improved terms and conditions in order to continue to improve returns," CEO Jay Fishman said in a statement. Shares of Travelers rose 2.91% in premarket trading Thursday to $61.20. TheStreet Ratings gives Travelers a B grade with a buy rating and $68.96 price target.
Danaher The industrial products manufacturer reported first-quarter earnings of $612.9 million, or 73 cents a share, up from year-earlier earnings of $429.4 million, or 61 cents. "The quarter progressed largely as we expected and we were particularly pleased with our team's execution which led to excellent core operating margin expansion, cash flow and earnings performance," CEO Lawrence Culp said in a statement. "In addition, we were encouraged by the sequential business improvement within the quarter and anticipate core growth will accelerate in the second quarter. With improving core growth, the cost reductions undertaken in 2011 and an attractive acquisition environment, we believe we are well positioned for the balance of 2012 and beyond." Danaher narrowed its guidance for full-year 2012 net earnings to between $3.25 and $3.35 a share. Previous guidance was for between $3.20 and $3.35. Shares of Danaher fell 47 cents, or 0.86%, in premarket trading Thursday to $54.22. TheStreet Ratings gives Danaher an A+ grade with a buy rating and $62.94 price target.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV