The iShares S&P Global Materials Sector Index Fund (MXI) is obviously global, has 50% in metals and mining and only 40% in chemicals. Over the last few years the boom was in mining stocks, not chemical stocks, and so going into the May 2008 peak for the sector the trailing 12-month return for MXI was 32% vs. just 15% for XLB.
However, while the boom times were been better for the mining-centric MXI, the last 12 months were not so kind as MXI has lagged badly going down 14% compared to just 6% for XLB.
For one final example, let's look at the allocation our firm has for client accounts in the industrial sector. We use a very similar approach as Kotok and Cumberland but include individual stocks. For ETFs in the sector we use the PowerShares Water Portfolio (PHO), which is 58% industrial stocks and has a much smaller market cap than the sector benchmark Industrial Sector SPDR (XLI).
The other ETF we use is the iShares S&P Emerging Markets Infrastructure Index Fund (EMIF) and although only 32% in industrials we believe the composition of the fund makes it a fit for this sector. It has a trailing yield of 3%. We combine those funds with individual stocks Volvo (VOLVY), ABB (ABB) and Northrup Grumman.12 Highest-Rated Consumer Stocks Picked by S&P >> While our mix could fare poorly depending on what the market has in store, it obviously captures plenty of foreign and thematic segments within the sector and a dividend yield that is quite a bit higher than XLI.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV