Fifth Third CEO Kevin Kabat said "It was a strong earnings quarter for Fifth Third," irrespective of the Vantiv IPO, as the company continued "to see solid growth in commercial lending volumes and fee income results were particularly strong in the mortgage banking, corporate banking, and investment advisory businesses."
The strong mortgage results reflected "higher gain on sale margins and deliveries of previously originated mortgages."
Fifth Third's shares closed at $14.16 Wednesday, returning 12% year-to-date, following an 11% decline return during 2011.The shares trade for nine times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $1.53. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $1.44. Based on an eight-cent quarterly payout, the shares have s dividend yield of 2.26%. Jefferies analyst Ken Usdin rates Fifth Third a "Buy," with a $16 price target, and said Thursday that first-quarter "positives include strong loan growth (+1.4% Q-Q) and positive operating leverage," while "negatives include flat liability costs and a sequential decline in mortgage banking production." The analyst added that excluding one-time items, "operating fees were up $55mm Q-Q, mainly on better mortgage banking results (up $48mm)," and that "better gain-on-sale margins drove the mortgage banking beat as production volume was actually down Q-Q ($6.4B vs. $7.1B last quarter). " Usdin estimates that Fifth Third will earn $1.35 a share for all of 2012, followed by 2013 EPS of $1.40. Interested in more on Fifth Third Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. To contact the writer, click here: Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV