- Fifth Third Bancorp reports first-quarter earnings per share of $45 cents.
- Analysts were expecting EPS of 36 cents.
- Mortgage banking net revenue doubles to $204 million.
- Commercial and industrial loans grow 5% sequentially.
Updated with comments from Jefferies analyst Ken Usdin.
The Cincinnati lender reported first-quarter net income available to common shareholders of $421 million, or 45 cents a share, increasing from $305 million, or 33 cents a share, during the fourth quarter, and $88 million, or 10 cents a share, during the first quarter of 2011. The company booked $153 million in discount accretion in the first quarter of 2011 when it redeemed $3.4 billion in preferred stock held by the government, for bailout assistance received through the Troubled Assets Relief Program, or TATP.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV