April 18, 2012
/PRNewswire/ -- The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) today opened its 24th Annual Meeting & Expo,
. More than 3,500 attendees will partake in the conference at the Moscone West Convention Center that features an array of cutting-edge educational programming, renowned keynote speakers, networking opportunities and an Expo of companies and organizations sharing their latest innovations and services.
"The Academy is proud to present such outstanding programming at our Annual Meeting & Expo," said AMCP Chief Executive Officer
Edith A. Rosato
, RPh, IOM. "This is truly the premier event for anyone who has a stake in the dynamic field of managed care pharmacy."
The programming, led by top leaders in the field, encompasses a wide range of topics and issues relevant to managed care pharmacy professionals today. Educational Session topics include:
- Current trends and emerging models in comparative effectiveness research (CER)
- Medication Therapy Management (MTM) changes, growth and trends in the industry
- Transitions of care
- Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs)
- Medicare plan "Star Rating" system update
- Federal and state legislative updates
- Essential benefits and exchanges
- Advancing medication adherence and the science of pharmacy care
- Drug shortages and implications for managed care pharmacy
- Scanning the pharmaceutical pipeline
- Emerging issues and trends in managed care pharmacy
- Specialty pharmacy management
- Oncology pathway development and implications for managed care pharmacy
- The state of research in managed care pharmacy
In addition, AMCP's six Satellite Symposia offers opportunities for attendees to obtain education on key issues. Each symposium will offer continuing education credits for pharmacists, physicians and nurses. Still another venue for gaining relevant knowledge are AMCP's multifaceted Continuing Professional Education Partner Programs (CPEPPs), which provided an interactive "practicum" experience for pharmacists, physicians and nurses to participate in hands-on learning while rotating through different mini-sessions. This year's CPEPPs will provide continuing education credits for pharmacists, physicians and nurses. They are:
- The Evolving Role of Managed Care and Oncology Pharmacy Management – Practical Recommendations for a Changing Environment.
- Analyzing and Applying the Evidence to Improve Cost/Benefit and Risk/Benefit Outcomes in Multiple Sclerosis.
AMCP's Expo Hall, open on
Thursday, April 19
Friday, April 20
, will be the site of more than 100 companies and organizations displaying their latest innovations and services. The Expo Hall also will be the site of the Product Theaters, which provide an opportunity for attendees to hear late-breaking information on specific products, therapeutic areas and/or disease states in the presentations provided by company-designated presenters. Participants will gain immediate knowledge that can be incorporated into every day practice.
In addition, the Expo Hall also will be feature a display of professional, student, resident and fellow Poster Presentations on
Friday, April 20
. The presentations provide authors the opportunity to present their research, while giving interested attendees the chance to query authors and review their findings.
The Annual Meeting & Expo also provides a number of events that are designed to provoke and inspire. Most notably are the Thursday and Friday General Sessions.