RLI Corp. (NYSE: RLI) – RLI Corp. reported first quarter 2012 operating earnings of $20.6 million ($0.96 per share), compared to $24.8 million ($1.17 per share) for the first quarter of 2011.
|Earnings Per Diluted Share||2012||2011*|
* First quarter 2011 results were revised to reflect the retrospective adoption of a new accounting standard for policy acquisition costs.
Highlights for the quarter included:
- 23% growth in gross premiums written, including 10% growth driven by Contractors Bonding and Insurance Company (CBIC).
- Combined ratio of 89.1.
- Underwriting income of $14.9 million.
- $7.8 million ($0.24 per share) pretax favorable development in prior years’ loss reserves, net of effects on bonus and profit sharing-related expenses.
- Comprehensive earnings of $38.8 million ($1.80 per share).
“We ended last year on a strong note, delivering our 16 th consecutive year of underwriting profit, and are pleased to be off to a solid start in the first quarter by posting a respectable 89.1 combined ratio,” said RLI Corp. Chairman & CEO Jonathan E. Michael. “In addition to growth from our acquisition of Contractors Bonding and Insurance Company, we recognized organic growth across each of our segments.”“The insurance market is showing signs of moderate pricing improvement, which is encouraging as we look to continue delivering positive underwriting results. From a product, talent and capital perspective, we are well-positioned to benefit from improved market conditions,” said Michael.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV