U.S. Soybean Farmers Look For Solutions To Improve River Locks And Ports
ST. LOUIS, April 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The world wants soy, and U.S. farmers have invested in finding ways to get more of it to export markets quicker, easier and cheaper. Two soy checkoff-funded studies examine the challenges and opportunities related to transportation infrastructure.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/55671-united-soybean-board-soy-checkoff-funded-studies-examine-waterway-issues
The deteriorating condition of the U.S. lock and dam system puts the competiveness of U.S. soybean farmers at risk according to one soy checkoff-funded study. A transportation infrastructure investment remains a priority issue for soy checkoff farmer-directors.The study, coordinated by the Soy Transportation Coalition, found that American farmers and consumers "will suffer severe economic distress" if catastrophic U.S. lock or dam failures take place.
- Over half of the structures making up the U.S. inland waterway system for river barge shipping exceed their 50-year usable lifespan.
- Over one-third surpass 70 years of age, a concern because major rehabilitation is usually necessary to extend the typical lifespan from 50 to 75 years.
- Up to 89 percent of soybeans exported through the lower Mississippi ports, such as the Port of New Orleans, arrive in barges that must transit multiple locks for the trip downstream.
- Expand the average area that draws U.S. soy and grain to the Mississippi River for barge transit to central Gulf of Mexico ports from 70 miles to more than 150 miles.
- Increase the total volume of U.S. soybeans and grain moving through the canal by 30 percent.
- Result in approximately 35 cents per bushel savings for elevators within the range of central Gulf of Mexico ports, assuming proper dredging to ensure at least a depth of 45 feet to handle larger ships passing through the expanded canal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV