Cardinal Financial Corporation (NASDAQ: CFNL) (the “Company”) today announced earnings of $7.7 million, or $0.26 per diluted share, for quarter ended March 31, 2012. This is a 46.6% increase over earnings of $5.2 million, or $0.18 per diluted share, for the same quarter in 2011.
- Asset quality continues to be strong. Nonperforming assets remained low at 0.62% of total assets, and annualized net loan charge offs were 0.63% of loans outstanding. Real estate owned decreased to $2.5 million from $3.0 million at the previous quarter ended December 31, 2011 , and the Company currently has $0 loans receivable past due 90 days or more.
- The Company’s tax equivalent net interest margin was 3.71% for the current quarter, up from 3.67% in the same quarter of 2011. This compares to 3.88% for the previous quarter ended December 31, 2011.
- Total assets at period-end were $2.61 billion versus $2.06 billion one year earlier, an increase of 26.6%.
- Loans held for investment grew to $1.66 billion, an increase of $247 million, or 17.5%, compared to the March 31, 2011.
- Total deposits grew to $1.862 billion, an increase of 34.2% compared to March 31, 2011.
- All capital ratios substantially exceed the requirements of banking regulators to be considered well-capitalized. Tangible common equity capital (TCE) as a percentage of total assets was 9.33%.
Income Statement Review
For the first quarter of 2012, net income was $7.7 million, or $0.26 per diluted share. Compared to the year ago quarter, this was an increase of 46.6%. For these comparable periods, the net interest income increased 23.1% to $21.7 million from $17.7 million, and the tax equivalent net interest margin improved to 3.71% from 3.67%. The margin decreased from 3.88% from the previous quarter ended December 31, 2011. Average loan balances increased $70 million, or 17.9% annualized, compared to the last quarter of 2011; however, average loan yields decreased by 0.22% as new loans were funded in this low rate environment. Additionally, the Company attracted approximately $125 million of core deposits via a high yield checking campaign, and it converted $100 million to longer term brokered CDs to establish permanent funding for the recent growth in loans held for investment. These deposits replaced short-term wholesale borrowing. This repositioning provides the Company flexibility as it assesses its future growth opportunities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV