THIS PRESS RELEASE CANNOT BE SENT, TRANSMITTED OR OTHERWISE DISTRIBUTED IN OR INTO THE UNITED STATES OR ANY OTHER JURISDICTION WHERE IT IS IMPERMISSIBLE TO DO SO
LONDON, United Kingdom, April 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Rio Tinto and Ivanhoe Mines Ltd. (Ivanhoe) have signed an agreement under which Rio Tinto has agreed to support and provide certain elements of a comprehensive funding package for Ivanhoe that will underpin the development of the Oyu Tolgoi copper-gold mine in Mongolia. The parties have also agreed that Rio Tinto, which currently owns 51 per cent of Ivanhoe, will replace a number of the directors on the Ivanhoe Board with Rio Tinto-nominated directors and also nominate a new management team.
The comprehensive financing package, together with the proceeds from any potential future asset sales by Ivanhoe, are intended to cover Ivanhoe's total funding needs to complete the development of Oyu Tolgoi. Rio Tinto will provide a standby commitment for the full amount of a US$1.8 billion rights offering by Ivanhoe. Rio Tinto will also provide US$1.5 billion of bridge financing to Ivanhoe, in addition to the US$1.8 billion interim funding facility that was agreed in December 2010.Rio Tinto remains committed to continue working with Ivanhoe to secure project financing for the Oyu Tolgoi project and has agreed to provide a guarantee of certain obligations of Ivanhoe under the project financing. Once project financing is in place, both the US$1.5 billion of bridge financing and the US$1.8 billion interim funding facility will be repaid to Rio Tinto in full. Board and management changes Under the agreement, a new thirteen-member Board will be formed, the majority of which will be independent directors comprising:
- Eleven Rio Tinto-nominated directors, six of which will be independent; and
- Two directors nominated by Mr Robert Friedland, one of which will be independent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV