Only 3 Cities Look Good for Home 'Flipping'
BOSTON ( MainStreet) -- A study by real estate site HousingPredictor.com finds there's little reality in reality TV programs that make "flipping" homes for fun and profit look easy.
"TV shows are for entertainment. I've never met anybody who really did flips like they do
Flipping typically involves buying foreclosures or run-down homes on the cheap, making a few cosmetic updates such as new paint or carpeting, then "flipping" the properties to new owners at higher prices for some quick profits.
Lots of Americans made bundles of cash flipping homes during the U.S. housing boom."There were people who made upwards of $10,000 a flip, and in many that I did, we netted upwards of $50,000 in a few months," says Colpitts, who flipped some two dozen properties earlier in his career. Unfortunately, today's housing bust means the days of easy home flips are long gone. "Most places are way too risky for flipping a home these days, with home values falling in the majority of the country and foreclosure rising," Colpitts says. "You
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV