Updated to reflect Illumina CEO comments and preliminary results from stockholder meeting.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Swiss pharmaceuticals giant Roche has decided not to extend a $51 a share takeover offer for Illumina (ILMN), signaling that the genomics machinery specialist has fended off a hostile bid.
After making an initial $44.50 per share bid for Illumina in January, Roche boosted its unsolicited offer to $51 a share or roughly $6.8 billion -- an offer Illumina rejected in April. With shareholder proxy services supporting Illumina's defiance, Roche said that the re-election of the company's incumbent directors over a hostile slate of nominees at the company's annual meeting led Roche to let its offer expire rather than raise it.
In deciding not to extend its offer, Roche indicated that it was resistant to a bid increase or extension because of its inability to access Illumina's finances.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV