New Ways to Guard Against Rising Inflation
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Plenty of financial advisers are worried about inflation. High oil prices are hurting consumers, the advisers say, and heavy spending by the Federal Reserve could trigger inflation in coming years.
To protect against rising prices, the advisers suggest a traditional approach -- holding assets such as real estate investment trusts, gold and Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities. That strategy has often worked in the past, but the favored assets have all surged in recent years and now prices look rich.
Consider REITs. During the past three years, real estate funds returned 31.3% annually, ranking as the top-performing category tracked by Morningstar. As real estate shares climbed, yields fell. Now the average REIT yields 4.3%, near the record low of 3.8%, which occurred during the bull market of 2007.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV