NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks lost ground Wednesday, weighed down by lackluster earnings from tech heavyweights Intel (INTC) and IBM (IBM) and nervousness ahead of another round of Spanish bond sales on Thursday.
The pullback follows Tuesday's stellar session, which was the best day for the broad markets in more than a month. Wednesday's selling was widespread but the financials, tech, conglomerates, energy and utilities were under the most pressure. Breadth was negative with winners outpacing losers 2-to-1 on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq.
The Nasdaq shed more than 11 points or 0.4% to finish at 3031, recovering from a session low of 3024.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV