NEW YORK, April 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Assurant, Inc. (NYSE: AIZ), a premier provider of specialty insurance and insurance-related products and services, today is celebrating its 120th anniversary by ringing The Closing Bell® at the New York Stock Exchange. The anniversary provides a noteworthy opportunity to remember the enduring values essential to helping customers mitigate risk.
Assurant traces its history to the founding of the LaCrosse Mutual Aid Association established in LaCrosse, Wisconsin in 1892, formed to provide consumers with disability insurance. Now known as Assurant, the company's specialty insurance offerings continue to evolve with businesses that now include Assurant Employee Benefits, Assurant Health, Assurant Solutions and Assurant Specialty Property.
"It is an honor to commemorate the unique history of Assurant by ringing the bell at the Exchange and heralding the values that are the foundation of our employees' achievements," said Robert Pollock, president and chief executive officer of Assurant, Inc. "Every day and in each of our businesses, employees put into action the values at the heart of our company -- using common decency, common sense and uncommon thinking to deliver uncommon results to our clients, their customers and our shareholders."
Assurant's enduring values are exemplified in the work of employees on behalf of customers and clients and the communities where we live and work. While there are many ways these values come to life, recent examples of these efforts include:
- Common Sense: Assurant Specialty Property field claims manager Keith Goss "simply did what needed to be done" when he assessed the damage to a home destroyed by a gas explosion. That he took this action on his day off at a site 200 miles away reflects the common sense value that ensures field claims are handled expeditiously for clients in their times of need.
- Common Decency: Bills are just one of the many concerns on the minds of customers when they file claims on their credit card protection insurance. Typically, they are trying to cope with life changing events such as a death in the family, unemployment or sickness. In an effort to ease their burden, Assurant Solutions developed a technology solution called MAX to improve the process by reducing the amount of paperwork required for claims verification, expediting claims review and paying claims more quickly.
- Uncommon Thinking: Looking at health insurance from the uninsured's point of view, Assurant Health realized that price alone would not drive consumers to purchase health coverage. Through extensive research and product concept development, Assurant Health introduced Assurant Health Access (SM), the first insurance plan designed specifically to provide affordable access to the health care system. As a result, nine out of 10 Assurant Health Access customers who now enjoy coverage previously were uninsured.
- Uncommon Results: Assurant Employee Benefits' nationally recognized Change Your World Challenge offers employees $100 and 90 days to develop and implement a project to benefit a non-profit organization of their choosing. Showing great determination and ingenuity, ten teams have taken up the challenge and stretched their seed money to make lasting contributions to local community organizations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV