Updated from 6:43 p.m. ET to include response from Pfizer spokesperson.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Pfizer (PFE) may be close to deciding on a sale of its baby nutrition unit and an initial public offering of its animal health business, The Wall Street Journal reported after the market close on Tuesday, citing unnamed sources.
While Pfizer CEO Ian Read has telegraphed the divestiture of both units since mid-2011, The Journal reports that the pharmaceuticals giant may announce a baby health sale to Nestlé for $9 billion as early as next week.
Meanwhile, Pfizer may hire JPMorgan (JPM), Bank of America (BAC) and Morgan Stanley (MS) to lead an initial public offering of its animal vaccine and drug unit as early as this summer. The potential deals would be a boost to M&A and IPO markets, which have stalled in 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV