Updated from 4:40 p.m. EST to provide comments from the conference call.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Yahoo! (YHOO) shares rose in extended trading after the company posted better-than-expected first-quarter results.
Yahoo! reported earnings of 23 cents per share on $1.08 billion in revenue. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were expecting earnings of 17 cents per share on $1.06 billion in revenue.
Regarding the company's recent layoffs, Chief Financial Officer Tim Morse said on the company's conference call he expects it will take approximately a year to realize the cost savings. Yahoo! recently laid off 2,000 workers in an effort to reorganize the business.
|Yahoo! posted strong first-quarter results|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV