ABBOTT PARK, Ill., April 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Abbott (NYSE: ABT) announced today the results from a Phase 3 trial evaluating the company's investigational compound for advanced Parkinson's disease, levodopa-carbidopa intestinal gel (LCIG). The study showed that patients treated with LCIG for 12 weeks reported clinically meaningful and statistically significant improvements in "off" time compared to levodopa-carbidopa immediate release (IR) tablets, without increasing troublesome dyskinesia. "Off" time refers to the periods of poor mobility, slowness and stiffness experienced by patients with Parkinson's disease. The results from the study will be presented as part of the Emerging Science program (formerly known as Late-Breaking) at the American Academy of Neurology's 64th Annual Meeting in New Orleans on April 25.
This study was conducted to determine the efficacy, safety and tolerability of continuous LCIG infusion in patients with advanced Parkinson's disease compared to standard levodopa-carbidopa IR tablets. LCIG contains the same active medication as levodopa-carbidopa IR tablets but in gel form and is administered directly into the small intestine via a procedurally-implanted tube connected to a portable pump. At baseline, patients enrolled in the study had Parkinson's disease for an average of 10.9 years and experienced an average of 6.6 hours of "off" time a day.
Key FindingsThe primary efficacy endpoint was change from baseline in daily "off" time (16 waking hours) at 12 weeks.
- Mean "off" time at 12 weeks decreased by 4.0 hours per day with LCIG, an average of 1.91 fewer hours of "off" time compared to levodopa-carbidopa IR tablets.
The secondary efficacy endpoint was change from baseline in daily "on" time without troublesome dyskinesias. "On" time refers to periods of good motor symptom control.
- Mean "on" time improved by 4.1 hours with LCIG, an average of 1.86 more hours compared to levodopa-carbidopa IR tablets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV