Since Plains All American launched a $24 a share bid last fall for the company amid one of the most torrid M&A paces in pipeline sector history, the expectations for SemGroup's businesses and its interests in spun off entities have increased far above the offer price.
In Nov. 2011, Plains All American Pipeline launched a $24 a share bid for SemGroup that quickly fell below the share price of the company as optimism increased about the value of its assets. SemGroup rejected the hostile bid, which valued the company at just over-$1 billion. The company's market cap is $1.25 billion today.
Its 41% stake of Rose Rock Midstream (RRMS) was taken public this past December at $19 a share, raising $140 million. The company also announced a sale of its SemStream business to NGL Energy (NGL) for $279 million in cash in November 2011.SemGroup's businesses are benefitting from an oil and natural gas boom tied to growing energy production from the Bakken, Niobrara, Granite Wash and Mississippian Lime shale basins. Since March, specifically, Wall Street analysts have taken Tulsa, Oklah.-based SemGroup's fourth quarter earnings and 2012 guidance as reason to push up price targets. In a March 1 note, Deutsche Bank analyst Curt Launer raised his SemGroup price target based on increasing forecasted earnings at its crude oil transport operations and rising valuations of its spun off assets, and an equity stake it maintains in NGL Energy. At the end of March, Launer upgraded Semgroup's price target to $33 on a continued rise in its 60% stake in Rose Rock Midstream. In a way, SemGroup has come full circle in no longer being an opportunistic takeout candidate for a bigger balance sheet buyer amid its own distress and amid the pipeline M&A craze that peaked in 2011 with Kinder Morgan's $21 billion acquisition of El Paso.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV