SEATTLE, April 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Alaska Airlines is celebrating Earth Day with the launch of "Save Green. Give Green.," a one-day promotion offering customers 10 percent off airfare to all cities the carrier serves. As part of the promotion, Alaska Airlines will donate five miles to The Nature Conservancy for every ticket purchased today up to 100,000 miles.
"'Save Green. Give Green.' allows customers to save a little money and support a charity dedicated to protecting the environment," said Joe Sprague, Alaska Airlines' vice president of marketing. "At Alaska Airlines, we're doing our part to reduce aviation's impact on the communities where we live and fly—like recycling onboard, operating a fuel-efficient fleet and leading our industry in the use of sustainable aviation biofuels. Together with our customers, we can do more to 'fly green.'"
In honor of Earth Day, Sprague suggests people follow a few steps to minimize their environmental impact when they travel.
Five green travel tips
- Pack less. The weight you carry with you affects the amount of fuel used and emissions produced. If each passenger on Alaska Airlines carried five pounds less on each flight, that would save more than one million gallons of jet fuel annually. This is the emission reduction equivalent of taking about 1,800 cars off the road for a year.
- Use mobile boarding passes. Using your smart phone for your boarding pass is convenient and saves paper.
- Bring a reusable water bottle. Bring your own reusable water bottle or travel mug and fill it after security. Not only will this help keep you hydrated, it will cut down on plastic cup waste. Coffee cups from airport vendors may or may not be recyclable, but the paper and plastic cups offered on Alaska Airlines flights can be recycled.
- Separate your waste. Alaska Airlines recycles its onboard trash in every city it serves. You can help divert material from local landfills and incinerators by separating your recyclable materials (cups, bottles, cans and paper) from waste when you hand it to your flight attendant.
- Bring your own headset. If you rent a digEplayer, a personal entertainment system, bring your own headset. Used headsets must be discarded after each use.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV