More than 67,000 Comcast and NBCUniversal volunteers across the country will spend Saturday, April 21, 2012, giving back to their communities as they take part in Comcast Cares Day, one of the nation’s largest days of corporate volunteerism. In its 11 th year, Comcast Cares Day will also mark over 2.5 million hours volunteered and more than $11 million contributed to organizations on this day of service since it first began in 2001.
“For more than a decade, our employees, their families and their friends have made Comcast Cares Day one of the nation’s most impactful corporate volunteering events in our nation,” said Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and CEO, Comcast Corporation. “We are proud of the cities and neighborhoods where we work and live, and Comcast Cares Day provides a terrific opportunity to celebrate those communities by coming together and giving back to them.”
During this year’s Comcast Cares Day, approximately 650 projects will take place in 39 states and Washington, D.C. That includes some big projects planned in communities where Comcast and NBCUniversal employees work together, including New York City, Orlando, and Los Angeles.
“Comcast Cares Day is a shining example of the continued investment in our communities by our employees at both Comcast and at NBCUniversal,” said David L. Cohen, Executive Vice President, Comcast Corporation. “And we don’t stop there. We do our best work in our communities throughout the year. Tackling digital literacy, building tomorrow’s leaders and partnering with great community organizations all shape the positive impact we have on the community.”On Saturday, volunteers will contribute their time and energy by providing maintenance, supplies and makeovers to local schools, parks, and community centers. Comcast Cares Day is also taking place during Earth Week, which is widely supported by NBCUniversal’s Green is Universal initiative. So many planet-friendly projects such as building community gardens, planting trees at parks, and managing recycling efforts will add to the diverse line-up of projects and communities. Comcast and NBCUniversal also have partnered with many non-profit community organizations and local chapters of the National Urban League and the National Council of La Raza, who will be working side by side with Comcast Cares Day volunteers on Saturday. Additionally, teams from Comcast and NBCUniversal will be partnering with City Year, Big Brothers Big Sisters and Boys and Girls Clubs of America, among other local community organizations. Below is a sampling of the multiple projects taking place on Comcast Cares Day:
- Miami (Miami-Dade Public Schools) – Approximately 500 volunteers will be on hand at Silver Bluff Elementary, a Provision 2 school in the Little Havana, to repaint the inside of the school, refurbish the computer lab, add a mural and build outdoor planter boxes. The National Council of La Raza will be on hand, along with volunteers from Comcast, Telemundo and NBC6-Miami.
- Philadelphia (Frankford High School, Tyler Arboretum, Downtown Philadelphia) – More than 400 volunteers will work side-by-side with City Year cleaning Frankford High School’s grounds, planting, building picnic benches, painting murals throughout the building, and refurbishing the cafeteria. NBC’s Weekend Today show will also broadcast live from this site Saturday morning. Elsewhere in the Delaware Valley, Cares Day volunteers will celebrate Earth Week by beautifying the Tyler Arboretum in Media, while the Green is Universal team will build a virtual garden in downtown Philadelphia.
- Denver ( Boys & Girls Club of Metro Denver) – More than 300 volunteers are expected at the Broncos Branch of the Boys and Girls Club, where they will tackle several projects aimed at upgrading the facility. Work will include painting the entire inside of the club and the outside recreation area, playground clean-up, replanting an herb and vegetable garden, trimming trees, rebuilding shelving, and sanding and painting benches.
- New York City ( Manhattanville Houses) – On the Friday before Comcast Cares Day, more than 150 volunteers from NBCUniversal and City Year and will be giving back to the local community by beautifying the Manhattanville Houses in West Harlem. Employees will join George Oliphant from NBC’s “George to the Rescue” clearing areas to build and plant vegetable gardens and painting wall murals.
- Los Angeles ( Lankershim Elementary School) – This project will be led by the NBCUniversal team in Los Angeles and City Year. More than 300 volunteers will tackle painting projects and make other enhancements to the school grounds, including landscaping, cleaning and decorating outside walls, and improving the playing fields.
- Atlanta ( Atlanta Community Food Bank) – The Food Bank delivers more than 30 million pounds of food each year to 700 agencies. More than 85 Comcast Cares Day volunteers will pack food boxes for distribution and will work on planting and upkeep projects in the food bank’s community garden.
- Dallas ( Earth Day) – NBC5 is sponsoring Earth Day Dallas, an outdoor festival with more than 70,000 community attendees. Approximately 50 Cares Day volunteers will serve as greeters, guides, coordinators, and more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV