iShares MSCI Spain ETF
Spain has been getting a lot of attention from traders in the last week or two - and not the good kind. Ballooning borrowing costs for Spanish sovereign debt is being blamed for dragging down equity prices in the eurozone, and in turn here at home. Spanish stocks, and ETFs like the iShares MSCI Spain ETF (EWP) are getting stomped as a result.
Here's what's going on in EWP right now.
Shares of the Spanish exchange traded fund have fallen through two key support levels since the start of April, the first just below $29 and the more recent at $27.50. Missing those support levels tells us that EWP (and its underlying stocks) aren't able to catch a bid at prices that have historically acted as price "floors" for shares; in other words, the pockets of demand at those two levels evaporated when Spain started floundering again.Last week's pullback looked at first glance like a bullish sign, but in reality, it just reaffirmed newfound resistance at $27.50 and gave short sellers a new low-risk entry point to bet against Spanish equities. EWP is in freefall right now -- now is still a good opportunity for shorting if traders are willing to take on the headline risk of Spain. Otherwise, it makes sense to stay away from this fund for now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV