First up on our Tweet-driven list is Coach (COH), the handbag and fashion accessory company that's seen its shares rally more than 20% so far this year. Coach is a good example of why technical inputs can be so valuable for investors: this stock has been on a momentum tear for the last few years, and fundamentals aren't worth much when investors are trying to determine when that rally might run out of gas.
A potentially bearish setup in shares of Coach does, though.
Right now, Coach is forming a head and shoulders top, a bearish formation that indicates exhaustion among buyers. Keep in mind that the existence of the pattern doesn't mean that Coach's shares are moving lower just yet -- it has to trigger first. For that short signal, shares need to break down below the neckline at $72.Even though the head-and-shoulders (and its inverse) is likely the most well known technical pattern, it's still a valuable one: an academic study conducted by the Federal Reserve Board of New York found that the results of 10,000 computer-simulated head-and-shoulders trades resulted in "profits [that] would have been both statistically and economically significant." At this point, it looks like the right shoulder still needs time to form in order to get a clearer picture of what's going on in Coach. That said, if I were a Coach shareholder, I'd be keeping a very close eye on that $72 neckline. Coach shows up on a recent list of 12 Highest-Rated Consumer Stocks Picked by S&P.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV