Arbitron Mobile started recruiting the U.S. panel in November 2011. The Arbitron Mobile Trends Panels is now commercially available in the United States. The U.S. panel is a complement to mobile panels that Arbitron Mobile operates in global markets outside of North America. Interested parties may send an inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (+1) 646 203 9306.
How smartphone owners use their mobile devices
Based on data from the first quarter 2012, among smartphone users, age 18 and older, in the Arbitron Mobile Trends Panels service:
Apps and Internet Browsing
- The top 5 apps are Facebook, Google Search, YouTube, Pandora radio and Yahoo Mail;
- App usage is growing faster than Internet browsing;
- There are 14 apps with a reach of greater than 10 percent among monthly users, and there are 34 apps that have a reach of greater than 5 percent, and;
- The average data traffic (Wi-Fi and cellular) for web browsing among users of Android, Blackberry and Symbian phones is approximately 59 MB per user per month. For Apple iPhones, the average web traffic is 223 MB per user per month.
- Users spend 212 minutes a month reading or sending SMS text messages;
- The average user sends around 11 SMS messages per day, and receives 13;
- More time is spent with email, an average 332 minutes in the month; and
- Out of all communications with smartphones, voice call accounts for only 45 percent of all usage time.
- Social media apps represents 11.1 percent of all smartphone usage;
- Facebook is the top smartphone app with a monthly reach 65.0 percent, accounting for 210 minutes of the average users time in the month; and
- Twitter is the #8 smartphone app with a monthly reach of 13.2 percent, accounting for 107 minutes of the average users time in a month.