Intel, the largest chipmaker, has been aggressively pushing into smartphones and tablets, as it seeks to take market share away from ARM Holdings (ARMH), which has a 95% market share in smartphones, according to its 2011 annual report.
|Intel reports first-quarter earnings today|
At the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show, Intel announced it had signed deals with Motorola Mobility (MMI) and Lenovo using its "Medfield" line of chips. Morningstar analyst Andy Ng noted that Intel has also signed deals with ZTE, Orange (the wireless unit of France Telecom) and Lava.
Check out TheStreet's recap of the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show.Jefferies analyst Mark Lipacis believes investors will also want to hear about the company's Ivy Bridge and Romley line of chips, used in mobile computing and servers, respectively. "We expect investors to focus on the ramp of Ivy Bridge (22nm platform), particularly on the mobile MPU front since the company indicated a slight delay on those products. On the server front, we believe that Intel has started to ramp its Romley platform, which should provide visibility into revenue growth and support elevated gross margins in the near term," Lipacis said in his note. He rates Intel shares "hold" with a $27 price target. There will also be plenty of attention focused on the company's capital expenditure spending, and how that might read through for the rest of the year. Lipacis notes the company previously said it expects to spend $12.5 billion in capex this year, and any positive demand trends from Intel's report "would likely translate to positive trends for AMD (AMD) as well."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV