This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 8:53 a.m. EDT on April 17.
NEW YORK (Real Money) -- Michelle Caruso-Cabrera filled in for Scott Wapner in our "Fast Money Halftime Report" discussion yesterday.
Monday's "Fast" conversation revolved around financials -- namely, how to invest in the sector.
My variant (more bullish) view is that a multiyear and durable U.S. housing recovery is ahead of us and that the banks most exposed to the domestic residential real estate markets represent the best way to play this eventuality.Let's go to the tape! I am very optimistic with regard to the outlook for the residential real estate markets in the U.S. -- the scope and duration of the recovery will surprise many in the years ahead.
- Housing affordability is at a near-record high.
- New production is extremely low relative to household formation and demographic trends, so a lot of pent-up demand will be unleashed.
- The economics of home ownership has tilted away from renting.
- Although there was some hesitation in the recent numbers, the U.S. jobs market is making a decisively positive turn.
- Mortgage rates are at generational lows.
- Housing surveys are slowly improving as is consumer confidence.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV