This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 8:53 a.m. EDT on April 17.
NEW YORK (Real Money) -- Michelle Caruso-Cabrera filled in for Scott Wapner in our "Fast Money Halftime Report" discussion yesterday.
Monday's "Fast" conversation revolved around financials -- namely, how to invest in the sector.
My variant (more bullish) view is that a multiyear and durable U.S. housing recovery is ahead of us and that the banks most exposed to the domestic residential real estate markets represent the best way to play this eventuality.Let's go to the tape! I am very optimistic with regard to the outlook for the residential real estate markets in the U.S. -- the scope and duration of the recovery will surprise many in the years ahead.
- Housing affordability is at a near-record high.
- New production is extremely low relative to household formation and demographic trends, so a lot of pent-up demand will be unleashed.
- The economics of home ownership has tilted away from renting.
- Although there was some hesitation in the recent numbers, the U.S. jobs market is making a decisively positive turn.
- Mortgage rates are at generational lows.
- Housing surveys are slowly improving as is consumer confidence.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV