HeartMate II may be used to support patients either while they wait for a donor heart to become available or as a permanent, long-term therapy. For patients eligible for a heart transplant, usage of HeartMate II is known as "Bridge-to-Transplantation" (BTT). Utilization of the device with the intent of permanent, long-term support is known as "Destination Therapy" (DT). In either situation, without the option of an LVAD, AHF patients have poor prospects for survival and significantly limited lifestyles.,
HeartMate II Facts:
- HeartMate II is the most widely used and extensively studied LVAD available today.
- More than 200 peer-reviewed publications have featured studies regarding the HeartMate II – far exceeding published data on all other LVADs combined.
- HeartMate II is the only available device FDA-approved for both Bridge-to-Transplantation (BTT) and Destination Therapy (DT), or long-term support.
- HeartMate II measures approximately three inches in length and weighs approximately 10 ounces. It has one moving part, a continuously spinning rotor that helps circulate blood.
- To date, HeartMate II has been implanted at over 290 medical centers across more than 35 countries in North America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Australia and Africa.
- The HeartMate II has demonstrated excellent and consistent outcomes in very sick patient populations. ,
About HeartMate IIThe HeartMate II is intended for a broad range of advanced heart failure patients and is the only continuous-flow left ventricular assist device (LVAD) approved by the FDA for both Bridge to Transplantation and Destination Therapy. The device is designed to provide long-term cardiac support, pumping up to 10 liters of blood per minute for full support of the circulation, or to supplement the native function of the patient's left ventricle. The HeartMate II is placed just below the diaphragm and is connected to the left ventricle, returning blood flow to the aorta, the main artery that carries oxygenated blood to the entire body. An external, wearable system that includes a small controller and two batteries is attached by an external driveline. HeartMate II is smaller and easier to implant than prior FDA-approved devices, and with only one moving part, it is designed to provide exceptional reliability and improved patient quality of life.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV