USG Corporation (NYSE:USG), a leading building products company, today reported first quarter 2012 net sales of $812 million, up 13 percent from first quarter 2011 net sales of $721 million. USG’s first quarter operating profit was $27 million compared to a $58 million operating loss in the first quarter of 2011. The first quarter 2012 net loss after-tax was $27 million or $0.26 per share. This result compares to a $105 million net loss in the first quarter of 2011 or $1.01 per share.
“Despite continuing low demand, our emphasis on achieving operating profit is succeeding, and continues to be a top priority,” said James S. Metcalf, Chairman, President and CEO. “Our focus on our customers, innovation and growing our adjacent businesses contributed to our first quarter results. All units showed improved results, supported by a modest increase in U.S. wallboard demand and solid performance across our product lines including ceilings, substrates and joint compounds. Of particular note is the market enthusiasm over our expanding line of SHEETROCK ® Brand UltraLight Panels products, which now include both SHEETROCK ® Brand UltraLight Panels FIRECODE ® 30 and SHEETROCK ® Brand UltraLight Panels FIRECODE ® X, as well as our SHEETROCK ® Brand UltraLightweight All Purpose Joint Compound.”
The corporation’s adjusted operating profit was $29 million in the first quarter of 2012, which compares to an adjusted operating loss of $49 million in the first quarter of 2011. The adjusted operating profit for the first quarter of 2012 excludes $2 million of restructuring and asset impairment charges. The adjusted operating loss for the first quarter of 2011 excludes $9 million of restructuring and asset impairment charges.
“Although demand in our core markets still remains near historical lows,” Metcalf said, “we are confident our strategy will continue to move us toward positive net earnings.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV