"It's no surprise that a large portion of the summer vacation budget goes toward accommodations, but what many people don't realize is they can significantly reduce their expenses by staying in a vacation rental," says Brian Sharples, chief executive officer of HomeAway. "With multiple bedrooms and a full kitchen families can travel together more comfortably and more cost effectively than renting multiple hotel rooms. Plus, vacation rentals help foster togetherness and create memories by bringing friends and families under one roof without the distractions back home."
About half (46 percent) of travelers see the benefits of renting a vacation rental, reporting they will stay in one on their summer vacation. In fact, 16 percent of those travelers are staying in a vacation home rental for the first time this year. Another 18 percent will stay in some other type of accommodation this summer and 36 percent haven't finalized their plans yet.
Most Popular Summer Vacation Spots Reveal Americans' Love Affair with the Beach Continues
According to traveler inquiries made on HomeAway.com for stays between Memorial Day and Labor Day, nine of the top 10 most popular summer vacation destinations this year are Atlantic Coast and Gulf Coast beaches. The only exception is Las Vegas, which ranks as the fifth most popular destination. The top 10 includes:
- Provincetown, Mass.
- Ocean City, Md.
- Gulf Shores, Ala.
- Las Vegas
- Destin, Fla.
- Virginia Beach, Va.
- Bethany Beach, Del.
- Folly Beach, S.C.
- Rehoboth Beach, Del.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV